The concept was already in existence, a re-interpretation from 2D into 3D of a series of digital drawings that were created collaboratively by Jason and Darren.
They had created maquettes of the monoliths that they wanted us to interpret. They also had made decisions on the colour of paint [cyan. yellow, magenta and black].
I find it an intriguing idea to use the colours of a digital printer to create painted forms that in themselves resemble ink cartridges [well sort of ...]
I felt very comfortable within the group and was happy to 'go with the flow'. I think that this is really important because as I did not have responsibilty for the overall concept I just had to trust that the project would produce something worthwhile, on whatever level.
Our process was about mapping out lines and form using the maquettes to creat our response. We worked as a team so we were able to move around the monolith and make additions ,or reductions as we saw fit.
I found this part of the process quite challenging; to continually be imagining the shapes and lines our masking would create.
And dare I conclude that [yet again this seems a recurring theme with me] I find these painted monoliths exciting because they are site specific and will maybe be present for a few weeks only. They relate to the wider space of the beautiful contemporary space of the reception and cafe area of Hereford College of Arts [Folly Lane site].
But this work will re-emerge in another form as artists in Swansea will further re-interpret our paintings back into 2D murals.
I offer hearty congratulations to Darren and Jason [digitaldialogues] a very happy 10th anniversary!!